Saturday, April 16, 2011

Why is it? A slice of reality

I have kept track of my yarn in a data base for years now. Since before we left New York. I remember sitting in the dining room of the house and weighing each yarn, using the McMoran yarn balance to find out yards per pound then figuring out how many yards of each yarn was on hand.
I lost a good bit of the database recently, I believe I started it in 02. So I have had plenty of time to adjust to adding yarns to it.
So why is it that every so often I come across a yarn that isn't in the stinking data base? Hello? How did I miss you? Tonight it was 2 skeins of a Regia Kaffe Fassett yarn. Now I've knit up 2 pairs of socks in various colorways of this yarn. I knew I had a lonely skein that will become either sock tops or wristwarmers. But I didn't remember this yarn. I don't remember buying it. I don't show a record of it coming in. Where in the world did it come from? sigh Any such yarn counts as a brand new purchase. And it is added in the "yarn purchased this year", "yards added this year" etc. The only way I can figure to make it work. Otherwise I'd constantly be reworking prior years totals.
Occasionally as I cook I realize how time has passed. As in, when I need to pull one of the boxes off the top of the freezer. Why? The aluminum foil is from Wegman's - the WONDERFUL New York grocery chain. I miss their bread. It was the best! We left New York in 03. The waxed paper is from Hy-Vee - an Iowa grocery chain. We left Iowa in 08. There are 2 boxes of Press and cling wrap (or whatever it is called.) We bought those in Iowa when Howard had the surgeries. Yet I think I'm on the 3rd box of parchment paper since we moved here a year ago.
My space bar has been sticking. I couldn't figure out why. Tonight I hit one of the keys and realized -- a size 0 needle had dropped down in front of the first row of the keyboard. Funny, the space bar works fine now!

No comments: