Saturday, June 28, 2008

Whine

Have you ever had a day that went on its way in a handbasket? Today was one of those.

We picked up the rental truck. I somehow misread the size of the truck. I thought we were getting one for a 2-3 BEDROOM house, and had requested a 2-3 ROOM house. Do you see the problem here? We could either have packed most of the furniture or the boxes. Not both.

I just about had a meltdown. I knew it was my fault and it was up to me to decide what to do. Howard was busy with the wonderful friends who were attempting to fill the truck as thoroughly as possible. I called around, there wasn't a truck to be had until Monday.

So, Monday morning we will pick up a second truck in Des Moines, drive it up here and load it with the rest of our belongings. We will each drive a truck out. I just don't see any other way around it. This is not a popular decision with either of us, but...

Lots of soda, water and nutritious snacks. Which will also mean rest stops. grin We will definitely be making a 2 day drive of it (found that out when we realized the tow trailer for the car has a 55 mph limit. ) So, we'll start off first thing Tuesday morning and drive about half way. Then we'll drive on in Wednesday.

Some of Serena's co-workers have volunteered to unload the truck Thursday after work. They are just as grateful as we are that there is an elevator -- we will be on the 4th floor! Others have volunteered to come by on Friday -- a holiday! they are giving up a free day to help us! We are grateful for such generous friends!

Just as I had the truck situation under control, I received another phone call. Howard's hard drive on his laptop has melted down.

Are we having fun yet?

2 comments:

Smitten Knitten said...

Oh my goodness! Know we are thinking good and smooth sailing thoughts for you on your move. Safe journey.

Darcie said...

Oh my! If it was me in that situation I'm not sure I would have made it. Or someone else close to me, probably my husband, would not have survived. Hopefully all the bad stuff is over and the rest of the move will go smoothly.

But if you also have to drive, how on earth are you going to knit at the same time?!