Friday, August 27, 2004

Friday zzzz

Okay, 4 AM came, and I was wide awake. What is this? I gave up, and have been reading since. Decided to prepare for the day, as I don't seem to be going back to sleep.

Bread turned out really well. Minor difficulty that I forgot you can't use oil to grease bread pans. NON stick bread pans too, to add insult to injury. So one came out in bits, but very good. The other came out whole, so I popped it into the freezer for later. Anyone noticed that bread bins no longer fit home made bread? They are made for machine bread! sigh

Rough idea of the bread: steel cut oats, 1/2 stick of butter, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt covered with boiling water, stir, and let sit for over an hour. 2 cups of white flour, 1 1/2 tbsp yeast, then whole wheat flour until the dough is right. I was a bit overzealous with the water, so wound up adding 6 cups of ww flour. Let the mixer bread hook go at it until I liked the texture. Rise in the bowl until double, grease the pans and let rise again. Bake 350 about 40 minutes. Fresh bread for my dinner last night. Yum!

I know the mixer isn't supposed to handle that much dough. I left it on slow speed (1) and didn't push it. Checked it for heat. I was stuck, since I'd started off with too much water. Love my Kitchenaid!

I've noticed a child-like tendency. Decide that I can't start a new project until the last 2 on the needles are off, and the new projects call out to me, and the old ones seem boring. The lure of the new? I wanna start a new project! I need to remember that I can do whatever I want, but I am responsible to finish projects, not just start them.

Wow! We had a thunderstorm last night! Enough continuous low rumbles to warn me in time to turn off the computer, then an earth shaker! Don't know yet how much we got, but it certainly lasted a while! Radar shows we are getting more at the moment, but I don't see evidence here.

1 comment:

Serena said...

It started raining at home about 3:30 this morning, and it hasn't stopped yet. Commute was yucky, but I got here barely in time!