Friday, October 12, 2012

Things that make you go hmmmmm

I'm part of a group making baby blankets for newborns.  I've realized there is a problem I hadn't thought about.  When you can finish off a skein of yarn by making 3 squares, they don't all fit on that blanket!  I'll try to show you what I mean. The black sashing is just to let you see the squares better.

 
 
or
 


or
 
 

 


I know that the colors aren't the best, but you can see the problem:  those red squares form ALMOST a pattern.  Not enough to complete a pattern, but almost...  Even if you put them in 3 of the 4 corners or any other way I've tried to fix the problem.
 
Now, 2 squares of the same color are easy:

Four are obvious, they can go on one of the diagonals (or in the corners, but I didn't illustrate that.) 



This one is 6, AND 5, so you can see that while there are a bunch of two colors, neither overwhelms.  Your eyes see PATTERNS! 

 
This one is 6 of one color, the rest are a mix.  Still, your eyes see patterns and are happy.  See what I mean?
 
 
Okay, it was pointed out that it will sometimes work this way (but only if the colors play well together!)
 
 

 

2 comments:

Karin said...

I love the examples you show!! Makes it so clear. I wouldn't mind seeing how the other options WOULD work though. :)

Karin said...

I see what mean now!!! I love the additional examples!!