Sunday, December 26, 2010

Perceptions

I wrote this at Christmas and didn't publish it. I don't know why not.
I was asked to bake rolls for the gathering at lunch on the 24th here in our building. I procrastinated (big surprise there, grin) and started them late the afternoon of the 23rd. We were going to leave first thing in the morning on the 24th for Nathan's so there wasn't any room for error. I did as I have done for years, threw in the ingredients until it felt right and called it good. Steel-cut oats, light rye flour, some potatoes, some molasses, some sugar, AP flour... It had a good hand as I kneaded it. It rose nicely several times. I divided it into rolls and set them to rise. Baked them and they looked great.
That night Howard and I had 2 for dinner. Too me, they were too sweet. If I had more time, I would have made more, but I didn't. I took them down with a note of apology.
When we got home the next day, I was stopped several times in the hall by people telling me how good the rolls had been. One couple had even taken some of the extras home, they liked them so well.
Sometimes, I guess, I need to step back from what I "know" and accept that I'm being too hard on myself. After all, Howard did tell me that he liked them. They just didn't fit what I expected. sigh

No comments: