Sunday, September 17, 2006

New Projects started

With a great deal of enthusiasm, I've started Penrose by Pat Ashforth and Steve Plummer. Instead of the 2 strands of DK weight yarn, I'm using 3 strands of 3 ply sock yarn. I'm pretty sure it will be smaller, but it is also using stash yarn, which means I could start it now, instead of waiting for yarn to arrive. It also seems a good idea, to make an afghan out of washable yarn, but with wool for warmth. Um, at least that was what I was telling myself when I made the decision. LOL If I use entirely stash yarn, it will be black, silver gray and red. Don't you think it would be...distinctive? I'm not sure if the dimensional effect will show in that. I've wondered a bit about buying some of the Knitpicks dye your own sock yarn and using that in its undyed state. Of course, there will be the problem of the other colors being in 3 ply, and that (I think) is 4 ply. Might matter, might not. Opinions? Know of a 3 ply equivalent in a washable wool?

I've also started Rose of England in a blue 2/32 wool. Blue, because that is what the intended victim wants (given the choice of yarns in my stash. Do you see a trend here?) It is being a bit difficult, mainly because I'm having trouble getting myself to sit down and work on it. Hopefully the asthma will get back under control and I can stay off pred so I feel like working on it! I didn't swatch, but started it on US 0 needles. I switched to the Knitpicks DPs, because my Inox greys just weren't sharp enough. I tried some rosewood 0s, but the yarn grabbed hold of the needles and didn't want to let go! So, I will also be ordering the size 0 circulats to match the DPs.

No comments: