Thursday, February 15, 2007

SP 10

I had such a great time last time with Secret Pal 9 (thanks to Kitman and Lianne) that I decided to do it again. So, the questions are bold, my response isn't:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
After many years of knitting with acrylics because they were all I could find at the time, I now prefer natural fibers. Wool, mohair, alpaca, angora, llama -- I have loved knitting with them all, and wearing them. I do use acrylic for baby hats and for people who prefer that. Cotton and linen are hard on my hands.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
The straights are stored in a vase from flowers my son and daughter-in-law sent me. Double points are sorted by size and are in PVC tubing from the hardware store. Each size has its own tube. Circulars are in a paper/cardboard file (check) folder with a divider for each size. The circulars and double points are stored in a handy rolling tote that Howard found for me. It is great to take when I teach. There is room to (usually) tuck the current project, any samples and patterns I'm bringing.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I learned in 2nd or 3rd grade in Brownie Girl Scouts. Probably 2nd grade, as my sister didn't learn and she was in the troop with me when I was in 3rd grade. I take on advanced patterns without a qualm.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No, I've not been asked for such a wish list by the family.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
Unscented please, I have asthma and scents can set it off. Darn it.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I do, but between food allergies (why is corn in almost every candy?) and trying to shed pounds, I have to be careful. I love Altoids Cinnamon Gum.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I spin. I have a Louet S-10, and have temporary guardianship of my daughter's Sleeping Beauty wheel. There is also a Great Wheel that lives here, but I'm still not sure that it is spinnable. A Judi drop spindle, an Ann Grout acorn spindle and a lace-weight Spin-Dizzy are my portable spinning supplies. I enjoy needlepoint and counted cross stitch, although I've not done either for a while. I'm threatening to pick it up again for my dollhouse. I'm also trying to put together a dollhouse fiber studio.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Classical music. Yes, I can play MP3s.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Rust, browns, orange (in small bursts), teal, periwinkle -- I love them and they look great on me. I can't wear black. Makes me look wider than my height!

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married with 2 adult children away from home. No pets, it is in the lease. Not even FISH! sigh We have 2 grand-cats and 1 grand-dog.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves and mittens. I usually feel like an idiot wearing a hat, although I love the way they look on others.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks, lace and textured sweaters I almost always have a pair of socks on the needles.

13. What are you knitting right now?
Two pair of socks. Several projects pending but not started. An Aran for Serena, Ballerina for me, and something lace from the gorgeous yarn my wonderful Spin Me a Treasure pal Florence sent from Belgium. Ashforth and Plummer's Penrose is languishing, wondering if it will become UFO.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
A handmade gift is a gift of self -- I love them!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circulars, as straights hurt my wrists. My current favorites are the Knitpicks Options -- I love the sharp point!

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes to both, and I am grateful to have them.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Oh dear, a pair of socks I started for DH when we moved here in 2003. I have the worst of the knitting done -- black over the calf socks in 3 ply sock yarn. They are both done as far as the heel (top down) so it shouldn't take forever to finish. It is just DOING it! Unfortunately, the needles have come out of them, so there is going to be a bit of an interesting time starting them again. They aren't called "Howard's Eternal Socks" for the way the LAST!

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Books. Yarn perhaps -- but it will eventually be used up. I used to collect small Nativity scenes, but there just isn't room in this house to display the ones I have.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have subscriptions to Spin-Off, Vogue Knitting, Knitters and Interweave Knits. I need to resubscribe to Cast On. Norah Gaughan's "Knitting Nature" is on my "to buy" list as is a subscription to "Twists and Turns". Living an hour away from yarn stores these past 3 years I've not seen or fondled many of the lovely yarns that are out there. I have heard about them, but...

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Not a new technique, but I'd like to improve my stranded knitting.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I love to knit socks. I have a high instep, so I need a heel flap of 3 inches (7.6 cm) or more. My foot is 9.5 inches (24 cm) long and the same around at the ball of the foot.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
January 26

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Happy birthday! And only a few weeks late.