Monday, August 06, 2007

The knitting is coming back

I lost my knitting mojo for a while. It was so bad, that when the new Vogue Knitting arrived, it took several days to open it. As for the new Interweave Knits, I've looked at the first few pages and not gotten any further. This is NOT usual behavior! LOL

Yesterday I bit the bullet and frogged one and a half strips of the baby blanket. The one strip had the colors reversed of the way I need for those dye lots, and the partial had both dye lots on it. What I plan to do (you notice I'm trying to keep it fluid?) is to finish the strip Mom and Serena started, then make one more with the same color sequence. That will make 3 strips in that color sequence (variegated squares on both ends.) I'll put the one they knit in the center. Perhaps I should mark it with a safety pin in the meantime, so I don't forget which it is? sigh I'll make 2 strips of the other dye lots out of the opposite color sequence (solid squares on both ends.) I'll see how much yarn remains when I've finished knitting those strips, then decide whether to make an edging all around or to leave it as is. May make sad eyes at Howard and see if he'll crochet the strips together. That would add another grandparent into the blanket...

I know what I want done to join them, but don't know how to go about doing it! My grandmother on my Mom's side did an afghan of garter stitch squares in many colors. I think she edged each square in crochet, then sewed them together. I suppose she might have used a single crochet seam, and then used the seam on the public side. Unfortunately the afghan succombed to bugs while we lived in carpet beetle heaven in the house in New York. I tried fulling the blanket to preserve it, but it didn't work. So I can't look at it for reference. Now you know why I keep so many of my fiber treasures in the freezer!

No comments: