Sunday, October 15, 2006

Secret Pal Questionnaire edited slightly 10/16

Questions in bold, my answer next.

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
After many years of knitting with acrylics because they were all I could find at the time, I now prefer natural fibers. Wool, mohair, alpaca, angora, llama -- I have loved knitting with them all, and wearing them. I do use acrylic for baby hats and for people who prefer that. Cottons are hard on my hands.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
The straights are stored in a vase from flowers my son and daughter-in-law sent me when I had an emergency appendectomy. Double points are sorted by size and are in PVC tubing from the hardware store. Each size has its own tube. Circulars are in a paper/cardboard file (check) folder with a divider for each size.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I learned in 2nd or 3rd grade in Brownie Girl Scouts. Probably 2nd grade, as my sister didn't learn and she was in the troop with me when I was in 3rd grade. I take on advanced patterns without a qualm.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No, I've not been asked for such a wish list by the family.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
Unscented please, I have asthma and scents can set it off. Darn it.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I do, but between food allergies (why is corn in almost every candy?) and trying to shed pounds, I have to be careful. I love Altoids Cinnamon Gum.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I spin. I have a Louet S-10, and have temporary guardianship of my daughter's Sleeping Beauty wheel. There is also a Great Wheel that lives here, but I'm still not sure that it is spinnable. A Judi drop spindle, an Ann Grout acorn spindle and a lace-weight Spin-Dizzy are my portable spinning supplies. I enjoy needlepoint and counted cross stitch, although I've not done either for a while. I'm threatening to pick it up again for my dollhouse.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Classical music. Yes, I can play MP3s.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Rust, browns, orange (in small bursts), teal, periwinkle -- I love them and they look great on me. I can't wear black.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married with 2 adult children away from home. No pets, it is in the lease. Not even FISH! sigh

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves and mittens. I usually feel like an idiot wearing a hat, although I love the way they look.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
socks, lace and textured sweaters I almost always have a pair of socks on the needles.

13. What are you knitting right now?
Hanne Falkenberg Mermaid, a pair of socks, Ashforth and Plummer's Penrose (I just had to start it -- am using 3 strands of sock yarn held together) and a self-designed Aran sweater for my daughter that is languishing on the needles. I almost forgot -- Kinzel's Rose of England is trying to jump onto my needles.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
A handmade gift is a gift of self -- I love them!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circulars, please, as straights hurt my wrists. My current favorites are the Knitpicks Options -- I love the sharp point!

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes to both, and I am indeed grateful to have them.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
2 years? Less than 3. Said languishing Aran sweater.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Books. Yarn perhaps -- but it will eventually be used up. I used to collect small Nativity scenes, but there just isn't room in this house to display the ones I have.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have subscriptions to InKnitters (but I don't know if I will continue that), Vogue Knitting, Knitters and Interweave Knits. I need to resubscribe to Spin-Off and Cast On. That will happen fairly soon. Norah Gaughan's "Knitting Nature" is on my "to buy" list as is a subscription to "Twists and Turns". Living an hour away from yarn stores these past 3 years I've not seen or fondled many of the lovely yarns that are out there. I have heard about them, but...

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'm fascinated by Shadow Knitting. I've knit one thing using that technique. Not a new technique, but I'd like to improve my stranded knitting.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I love to knit socks. I have a high instep, so I need a heel flap of 3 inches (7.6 cm) or more. My foot is 9.5 inches (24 cm) long and the same around at the ball of the foot.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
January 26

No comments: