Sunday, January 02, 2005

Light at the End of the Tunnel

I spend a lot of time online. A LOT of time. This is my main method of communication, as I am very sensitive to chemicals, and cleaners, perfumes, diesel fumes, pollens (you get the idea) start an asthma attack. I'd been looking at asthma as a thing to be gotten over. When the doctor told us a bit ago that I won't, I went into a depression.

Today, in chatting with a dear friend from England, she made a very simple statement to me. "Welcome to Holland." With those 3 words, it felt as if light came back into my life. She was referring to the gem "WELCOME TO HOLLAND" byEmily Perl Kingsley. I will not copy it here, because of copyright constraints. It was written by a mother trying to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability. But it fits my life. I had made many plans for "Italy", and haven't adjusted to being in "Holland." As she says, if I spend my life mourning the loss of "Italy", I'll never adjust to Holland. Rachel is also in Holland, because of her asthma. She understands. THANK YOU RACHEL!

Today was good. I frogged the Princess Line last night, and started, oh so slowly, with a transmogrified "Navajo" from "Meg Swansen's Knitting". As in, I have kept her chart (with my own variations) for the Navajo pattern. From there, I am taking off on my own. I think I'll use the 2 main colors I had for the Princess Line. At this point, too much is up for grabs. But, to my astonishment, I have been able to do corrugated ribbing with one color in each hand! Well, I'm doing the purl when you can for all the dark color, and it is working! Two colors of Brown Sheep Nature Spun Sport. I'll post pictures when any progress can be actually seen. At 360 stitches a round, it may take a while!

No comments: